Who wants to become an addict? No one.
Not one person in the entire world wants to become the slave of the drugs and alcohol. Even if you love the magical way that the substances take away your pain and the warm and loved feeling it gives instead, the sad truth that you are entirely dependent on some chemical substance is frightening. This fear and loneliness that the substances provide are one of the reasons that people go to an Ottawa’s Medical Detox Centre for recovery.
Recovering from the substances, however, does not take away the fear of relapsing. However, the fact that you might give in to temptation is no excuse to take the first step to the better life. Choose a centre carefully and take help of the professionals.
Can I Try To Detox Myself At Home?
You can but it is better if you don’t.
There is some home detoxing kit available in the market but it is better not to use them as well. The main reason is that you will be unsupervised by some professionals. Another reason is the ineffectiveness of the medical kits. Remember that detoxification can turn dangerous and you will need some professionals at that time who knows what to do.
Symptoms of Drug Detoxification
The initial stages of detoxification can often become intense. It requires experienced medical professionals to deal with the situation and to provide adequate support. Below are some of the possible issues that can occur during the medical detoxification.
- Violence: some drugs make users violent. In these cases, the patients are generally sedated so that the medical professionals, as well as the addict, remain safe.
- Symptoms of Psychosis: Some of the drugs like cocaine elicit effects that are like psychosis. Visual and auditory hallucination and delusional thinking are some of the symptoms of such drug abuses. In this kind, addicts tend to become erratic and unpredictable. It is important to treat these issues before making any further intervention.
- Injury: Some drugs elicit the risk-taking behavior of the patients. If addicts with severe injuries come to the Ottawa’s Medical Detox Centre, it is necessary to address the injury first. After the injury is healed completely, the detoxing procedure should be started.
- Medical Illness: Many people who are suffering from debilitating pains are given strong opioid-based medication. These patients often become dependent on these medications and subsequently get addicted. N these cases, once they stop using the medication, their pain will return. It is important to know the medical history of the patient and start treating the pain before proceeding with the drug detoxification.
- Threat to Self: Withdrawal from drugs such as opioid can generate severe depression. As a result of this depression, the recovering addicts can try to commit suicide. The professionals of the Ottawa’s Medical Detox Centre should keep close tabs on all the patients to make sure they are not showing any signs of suicide. The professionals should make sure that the patient is stabilized before transferring the concentration to the detox.
Exploring Detox Medication
Addiction changes the biological alignment of your body. The medicines try to reduce these violent symptoms that occur due to the withdrawals of the drugs. The medications also try to reduce the neurological shock that lack of the abused substance creates in the body of the recovering addict. The sad part is that detox medication is not available for all type of addictions. But the existing medicines are tremendously effective for quieting the effects of some addictions. Check out the below information to know more about the addiction and the effect of the drugs on them.
The withdrawal of these drugs can be so violent that listening to some of the sordid affairs can make you refrain from getting clean. The addicts get intense muscular and abdominal pains along with diarrhea, insomnia, anxiety and intense craving. There are some medicines such as methadone, Subutex (buprenorphine), Suboxone, Clonidine, which helps to reduce the symptoms. They also help to shorten the period of horror that the patients have to endure. The professionals can use other medications to deal with vomiting and emotional symptoms.
Alcohol withdrawal is as nasty as any other drugs. The recovering addict can have symptoms such as shaking, nausea, hallucination, severe anxiety, delirium tremens, cardiovascular distress, and seizures. Thus, it is best to complete the alcohol detoxification under medical supervision. The most popular medication to deal with this situation is benzodiazepines. Other than this Diazepam (Valium), Chlordiazepoxide (Librium), Lorazepam (Ativan) are also used to alleviate the withdrawal symptoms. Antidepressants, anticonvulsants and anti-nausea drugs can be used to reduce the discomfort of the patient.
The primary symptom of withdrawal from such drugs is dysphoria. These symptoms can come with a range of other psychological and physical symptoms such as paranoia, anxiety, hallucinations, sleep disturbances, and body aches. To ameliorate these symptoms, the professionals use modafinil, antipsychotics, antidepressants, benzodiazepines etc. Which of these medications should be used will be decided by the professionals according to the symptoms of the recovering addicts.
The withdrawal symptoms from these drugs can come rapidly and vehemently. The symptoms include anxiety, psychosis sleep disturbances, depression, tremors, memory loss, and seizures. Some of the detox symptoms of this drug can become life-threatening. Thus, it is advisable to find a proper Neworld Medical Detox Centre to go through the process under proper medical supervision. Less potent medications such as diazepam (valium) and clonazepam (klonopin) are used to make the withdrawal procedure safer to the recovering addict.
Detox Medications are the First Step of Healing
In the marathon of recovery, detox medication is just the little step that the patient has to take. However, to keep the sobriety going on, the recovering addict must continue the comprehensive addiction treatment. Therapies such as yoga, tai chi, acupuncture and meditation can help the recovering addict to deal with emotional and physical stress.
Taking the highest advantage from the treatments should be your primary concern. Take the help of the therapists of a good Ottawa’s Medical Detox Centre to start the life afresh. With time you will see the benefits as the haze of the drugs subsides.